Alvis Ltd was formed in Coventry by Mr T G John in 1919 to manufacture motor cars. Alvis quickly became noted as a producer of innovative and high quality cars, which are now classic collectors' items, and went on to become one of the prestige names in the British automobile industry. Alvis started manufacturing armoured vehicles before World War 2 and afterwards became one of the leading names in the world supplying light armoured fighting vehicles. Starting with the Saladin and Saracen high mobility wheeled vehicles, and following this with the Scorpion, and later Stormer, tracked vehicles. Alvis has supplied a high proportion of the British Army's light armour and has exported to more than 40 countries.
Since 1993, Alvis has continued to enhance its focus on military vehicles. In a significant corporate development in 1997 the Group acquired Hägglunds Vehicle AB, the major Scandinavian manufacturer of light and medium armoured vehicles. Equally significantly, in 1998 the Group took over the armoured vehicle business of GKN plc in a transaction which saw GKN take a shareholding in the enlarged Group and the main UK manufacturing operation move from Coventry to Telford. Through these developments, Alvis has confirmed its position as Europe's leading manufacturer of light and medium armoured vehicles, and enhanced its strong strategic position in a rapidly consolidating sector.
The Multi-Role Armoured Vehicle (MRAV) is a new 8x8 European armoured utility vehicle for the new millennium. In its modular form, it provides maximum flexibility for multi-national operations. The MRAV accommodates 11 fully equipped soldiers. The MRAV programme, in which Alvis is teamed with other European defence manufacturers in the ARTEC consortium, is a central element of Alvis strategic planning for the early part of the new century.